THE BUSINESS TUNER
1) DON'T reply to ANY unsolicited emails.
Even unsubscribing will alert the senders that your email address is being used.
2) Use your messaging software's filtering tools to reject mail from
your frequent spammers' email addresses or with certain words (sex, for example) in the subject line.
3) Find out if your ISP has a spam blocking service.
Both Telus and Shaw have such a service.
If not, use a spam blocking program such as Norton Anti-Spam
4) Contact the large directory services
to tell them you don't want to be listed.
5)Encrypt and digitally sign all your sensitive email messages.
6) Use software to compress and password protect your attachments.
7) Don't read email on a machine that doesn't belong to you or someone you trust.
8) If you use a browser to read email on someone else's machine,
use the browser's Clear History tool when you finish
to prevent subsequent users from getting into your mailbox.
9) Don't send sensitive personal messages on your work machine.
10) Keep your antivirus software UPDATED DAILY !
11) If you already receive lots of spam CHANGE YOU EMAIL ADDRESS
12) Upgrade your Web browser to 128-bit encryption.
13) Read Web site privacy policies carefully and make sure you understand them.
14) If you're reluctant to provide certain information on an online form, DO NOT
15) Set up a special email account with your ISP and supply this address when you fill out forms.
16) Before you give your credit card number to any commerce site, make absolutely sure it's secure.
Look for a closed PADLOCK ICON at the bottom of the screen or HTTPS in the URL.
17) Delete all the cookies in your cookie directory (generally c:\windows\cookies) frequently.
18) Disable cookies in your browser (an extreme measure) or set your browser to alert you to cookies,
or to accept only cookies that return to their original server or,
better yet, install cookie management software to control which cookies your PC will accept.
19) If a Web site gives you the option to opt out of tracking, TAKE IT.
20)High speed DSL or cable connection,
get some personal firewall software, such as
Norton Internet Security and install it, FAST!
Also add an external hardware Fire Wall router by Linksys, NetGear or other companies
between your computer and your high speed connection.
21) Turn off file and printer sharing in Windows if you're not using it.
Intruders will have an easier time accessing your files if this is activated.
22) Elect not to accept news or updates from Web sites you visit.
23) Fake your return address when you use chat or newsgroups.
24).TURN OFF your Instant Messaging software when you're not using it.
25) Set your Instant Messaging software to allow
ONLY PEOPLE YOU TRUST (in your buddy list, for example) to access you.
26) ALWAYS COVER THE LENS OF YOUR WEB CAMERA when it is not in use, so Spyware
can not use your camera to spy into your business office
without your knowledge
Finally protect your computer from and remove Adware Spyware
ONE OF THE BIGGEST THREAT TO YOUR ON-LINE PRIVACY
see our pages
What is Adware / Spyware ?
If you require help securing your computer
The Business Tuner
will happily help you at the usual rates
All the above software and documents are for use at your own risk.
"Always make a complete image backup of
your system before adding or removing any software"
You agree, as the user of these downloaded products,
to take full responsibility for any and all actions they perform.
No other liability, expressed or implied